Monday, May 5, 2008

The plans arrive...

Just as expected the plans arrived this morning from Bateau via DHL and after a quick look they are exactly what I had hoped. A found a few minor flaws right off but with the designers quick responses prior to purchasing the plans I expect this will get corrected as soon as I notify them. There are 12 pages of well-detailed CAD drawings and 8 pages of general notes. If your unfamiliar with Bateau you should look at their web site and you will quickly find a world of information about plans, materials, how-to’s and a forum where other builders trade info (as well as the forum geeks that have never built a bird house but are experts on boat building). I will be purchase the plywood and the bulk of the other materials from them as well most likely. I got a quote from them and was pleasantly surprised that the shipping from Florida wasn’t so bad as I expected.

I will give the plans a good look tonight and then I hope to be able to pick up materials this week and get started no latter than Saturday.

First step is to cut out the bulkheads and then I can build the strong back and get them set up. That should be a little more than two weekends worth.