Saturday, May 10, 2008

It's official, we are under way...

We picked up the 9mm plywood yesterday with no hitches and were pretty anxious to start the frames. I hauled the plywood around on top of the van all day to each job site and every time I saw it up there I’m sure I got a grin on my face. It was a long day though and by the time I got home I was beat and we unloaded the materials into the shop and got some rest. I had to run over to a job this morning and I was a little late getting started on the project but Frame A is cutout. The process of laying out the frame from the plans was a breeze. I first set a centerline and a baseline. From there it’s just a matter of working your way around the frame to complete it. I cut the radius with a 3” hole saw before cutting the rest with the circular saw. Leaving tabs at the corners helps hold the frame in place as you work around it and then simply go around with the jig saw to make the final cuts. I don’t plan to post each and every frame as we go so if you don’t see any changes on the blog assume I’m still cutting out frames and all is well. I can get 3 maybe 4 of the 7 cut out by the end of the weekend.

We decided rather than set the strong back up right away we should keep cutting panels while we have the max amount of floor space to work in, so I will need to pick up enough 6mm ply during the week for the hull.

I have included more pictures in the gallery if you would like to see them just follow the link to the right.