Monday, July 14, 2008

I turned to another for help…

Well, I had this great plan you see. After rolling the boat and building frame out the door I would disassemble the base leaving only the uprights on the frames then attaching the female molds I had made, roll the whole thing over, remove the upright supports and be done. Right?

Not so simple you say? Your right.

What really happened was I had removed the screws from the bulkheads a few weeks ago so when I took the base away there was nothing to keep the upright supports, which are screwed to the bulkheads, upright and the hull came down. The good thing is I saw what was about to take place just in time and I went to ask Stephanie if she could come down and help. I think it went something like this. “Stephanie can you come help me the boat is about to fall”. (Turn and run back out the door). Ah the boats still up. As I’m waiting for her I of course think “I’ll just take out one more screw while she’s coming down to help”. It was a controlled decent landing a little more than softly but less than hard. Maybe I should have waited that extra minute or two. Stephanie says there were some people walking by that stopped to watch the episode take place. I didn’t see them and I hope they understand this is not standard boat turning procedure. I most likely blamed Stephanie for being to slow to get down to help even though I should have just waited.

Some other good points. I had removed bulkhead “C” the largest one from the hull already so it was not damaged, as it surly would have been. Because of the way the boat fell all the other frames just sort of laid down and they received no damage.We were able to get the molds on but it took a little more effort. With a little work though we soon had the molds in place and simply turned it on its side with just a little effort. This seamed like a good photo op so Stephanie snapped the pictures below for your viewing pleasure.

The boat is back in the garage and we are adding filets and prepping the hull for the inner fiberglass work this week.


Time:
Disassemble building frame 30 min
Drop boat on ground 1-2 min
Pick boat up so that we could set the cradle in place 10 min
Place molds and bracing 1 hour
Turn Hull 10 min
Total this segment 2 hours
Total Project Hours To Date: 66 ½