Monday, July 14, 2008

Familiar ground…

I felt a bit of déjà vu as I began to work on the female molds in preparation of turning the hull this weekend. The molds will act as wheels with the boat as the hub and allow the whole thing to be turned quite easily. I laid out lines on frames “A” and “D” so that I could make the molds to hold the boat during turning and as a cradle afterwards. I wanted to be able to work around the molds so the “D” mold was made to come apart just above the lower chine after turning. These were both made from ½” OSB or chipboard as some people call it. I doubled the edges where necessary and rounded the corners to roll easily when the time came.

I had originally thought of turning the boat using a lift built from 4x4 post and some pulleys but saw an article on the subject and with the weight of this boat being so light I think this method will be easier. We’ll see soon enough.

We had previously installed some casters on the building frame so the boat could be rolled outside, as the garage ceiling is not tall enough to turn the boat inside.

Time:
Install casters on building frame 30 min
Layout and cut molds 2 hours
Total this segment 2 hours 30 min

Total Project Hours To Date: 64 ½